Monday, June 19, 2017

The New Line Files: Leftovers

Note: The film portions of this series will not necessarily always be full reviews nor will I be covering every film distributed by the studio either theatrically or on their home video label. They will also be grouped by things such as genre, theme, actor, etc. rather than chronological order as the story of the studio doesn't really lend itself to that sort of thing.

Besides, pretty much all you need to know about the history part was covered in the intro. Now then, let the show begin! 

The epic stuff will come later as I realized I have to catch up on about a day's worth of footage. With that in mind, we will begin with a quick rundown of some films I've already covered in full or just several times in the past.

Mainly so I don't have to do it later.

 From the middle of my series on Carolco, we begin with this limp spoof of The Exorcist. Part of a distribution partnership with Carolco and Seven Arts, this takes the talents of Leslie Nielsen, Linda Blair and Ned Beatty and wastes them.

 Just covered this a few weeks ago so let's just say that if you want a fun bad movie... This is one.

 I described my frank dislike for this movie way back in the My Favorite Era series. A terrible biddy cop film with an unlikable lead in Bob Hoskins and a wildly varying tone that never decides whether or not it wants to be a comedy or a drama. Just terrible. There is actually a version of this same story from 1992 made in India that sounds a hell of a lot better. The lead is a banker, not a cop. It's more of a murder mystery than anything else and I'd be willing to bet it's a hell of a lot more energetic.

 Jackie Chan's second US debut (I'll look at his early efforts at stateside success at a later date) which I reviewed in the early days of the blog is a solid middle of the road outing for the man. Tons of great action and stunt work, this was a fantastic introduction to the man for US audiences.

Naturally, this is one I've covered to the point of madness, no pun intended. Oh what the hell, pun totally intended! It's good, and that is all.

Lastly, we have one of my favorite Italian Road Warrior cash-ins that New Line handled the US distribution for. It's got lots of action, some cheesy stuff, Fred Williamson with a bow and arrow and George Eastman as the bad guy. In other words, everything you could want from an Italian action movie. I sort of feel like this one (and to be honest, the other films mentioned above apart from Repossessed and Heart Condition) epitomizes the early days of the studio. Done fast and on the cheap, it is a full throated, unapologetic genre piece.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a huge fan of action, horror and comedy for as long as I can remember.