Friday, June 1, 2012

Fangoria Flashbacks/VHS Memories XXVIII Special: Scream Greats Vol. 1-Tom Savini (1986)


10/10

 Before we get back into the Fangoria archives (which will happen at some point, I'm just taking a breather), here's a special review.

 A while back, I mentioned in one of my Fangoria posts the short-lived Scream Great video series the magazine put out.  Starting with Tom Savini, the series was intended to be a look at the big names in horror, for some reason this never panned out and the second volume went from being a look at Tobe Hooper to a standard documentary on satanism.

The Savini tape, however, still remains one of the best hidden gems from the 80's.

The tape covers most of his big stuff up to that point with plenty of stuff concerning Day of the Dead, various slasher movies including Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter and a few others.  There's also some nice background stuff as well as some footage of him just fooling around.

I'd really love to see this end up on something as an extra at some point.  It's really a fantastic gem of a documentary.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had this on VHS! I wonder if they ever made it onto DVD.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a huge fan of action, horror and comedy for as long as I can remember.