Monday, January 9, 2012

VHS Memories XI: Stephen King and other assorted items

Here's an assortment of crap relating to the king of horror himself as well as some other goodies to round things out a bit.

A pretty great mini-series adaptation of what most consider to be King's best novel.  Highlights include Rob Lowe as a mute, Matt Fewer in one of the few roles he actually made entertaining, Jamey Sheridan as the evil Flagg and some surprisingly gruesome makeup f/x considering this was on ABC.

An ad for my third favorite ninja movie from the 80's.  The pother two are Revenge of the Ninja and American Ninja 2: The Confrontation.

This is an okay action film starring Rutger Hauer as Nick Randall, a relative of the character Steve McQueen played in the TV series of the same name.  Sadly, this is a huge waste of potential as there is very little in the way of good action though Gene Simmons makes for a nicely slimy villain and his death scene is a real showstopper.  Needless to say, having a hand grenade taped into my mouth going off and blowing my head into little pieces is pretty high on the list of ways I'd prefer not to die.

One of the lesser King adaptations, this wastes a surprisingly good Bronson Pinchot performance on a dull, listless story with uber-cheesy CG monsters and Dean Stockwell trying and failing miserably at a sophisticated accent.

Here's a bizarre gem starring Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and briefly Peter Cushing in an unfathomably weird but utterly entertaining horror/spy thing.  I don't even know how to properly describe it, just check it out.  Trust me.

One of the better cinematic King adaptations, this is a nicely tense thriller with a good performance from Dee Wallace Stone.

This is a fairly middle of the road mini-series based on a fairly middle of the road King novel.  Worth a look though.

I already spoke about the movie way back when but I just want to say the tagline in this ad reminds me of this super cheesy promo KTLA ran one weekend afternoon for an upcoming van Damme marathon. I truly hope they paid the announcer a ton of money for saying "Wham, bam, thank you, van Damme!"

I vaguely remember seeing this one in the early nineties.  Given that I generally have a good memory for these sorts of things, I'm going to make a guess that I didn't dig it all that much.  Pretty much the only thing I do remember is the one-liner "We don't take no shit from machines!" that Walter Koenig and Bruce Campbell say to each other at a few points.

This is an interesting horror flick about a voracious reader who ends up encountering the villain in the book she's reading in the real world.  Pretty fun little flick, actually.

This one is nowhere near as good as the first one but infinitely better than the horrid third that came out a few years back.  The highlight is an impressive set of makeup f/x from the guys at KNB.

This is a low budget 70's action flick starring the lovely and sadly late Claudia Jennings.  I haven't seen this but I want to because...Well hell, look at the damn cover!  Jeez!  Followed by a sequel in 1988 and just because I'm one hell of a guy, I'll give you a look at the VHS and laser disc covers.


Man, the things I do to entertain.

To finish things off, here's a very underrated King adaptation starring Miguel Ferrer.  Great vampire f/x and a stellar Ferrer performance highlight this creepy classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a huge fan of action, horror and comedy for as long as I can remember.