Tuesday, December 6, 2011

VHS Memories VII: Slasher Frenzy!

One of the staples of the VHS era was the cheesy slasher movie.  Here's a good cross section of some of the cheesier ones.  Yes, set Jason, Freddy and Michael aside for now.  Let's dig into the fromage!

An early Halloween knockoff that features the only Final Girl in history who tried to hide from the killer by taking refuge in her sweater.

This is a pretty standard slasher that benefits from a nice set of gory killings and the lovely Rachel Ward.

Apart from the cover and some nice f/x for the killer, this is a dreadfully dull slasher from Tobe Hooper.  You can see for yourself in the video review from the Agony Booth right here.

 This is one of the most notorious titles with some amazing Tom Savini f/x.  A real can't-miss.

This dimply lit, sort of dull entry is getting a special edition DVD release.  I think that means that just about every movie ever made has now been released on DVD.

 Cheese reigns supreme here as girls are terrorized by a killer in a bear mascot costume wielding a glove with razors on it.  This came out as the slasher craze was starting to wane...you can tell.

A very good backwoods slasher movie that succeeds by being better than the average crappy slasher film.

Linda Blair is decent in this one as a college student who must spend the night in a haunted house in order to get into a club or something.  Hell, all the plots for these things run together anyway.

 Strangely enough, while I'm pretty sure I've seen this movie, I have no memory of it whatsoever.  I remember it being disjointed though, so I got that at the very least.

 No mistaking this one, it's one of the strangest movies I've ever witnessed.  Ex-Bond Girl Bach must fend off a demented Sydney Lassick and his equally messed up brother, played by Stephen Furst of Animal House fame.  It's one of the most bizarre things you will ever witness.

One of my favorite slasher efforts, this is your standard "killer with a grudge from the past" flick amped up with some amazing f/x work from Tom Savini.

And we finish things off with one of the worst movies ever made.  This is something I've wanted to see for a long time, if only to witness how bad it is for myself.  I got the chance a few weeks ago and I can say that it lives up to its reputation and then some!  Horrid acting, confusing story, some decent kills and an excess of cheese throughout.  If you love bad movies, this one will give you your money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been a huge fan of action, horror and comedy for as long as I can remember.