Friday, September 16, 2011

VHS Memories

A little change of pace today as I'd like to highlight some great VHS ads I came across online.  I love old advertising from the 70's and 80's, especially old VHS cases.  Here's a little look back at the days of clamshell cases, dusty shelves and the amazingly high MSRP.



Here's an old ad for a mail-in offer from Media Home Video.   Media distributed a bunch of great films and was one of the earliest VHS producers.  Just a few of the titles released were the first five Nightmare on Elm Street films, some Cannon Pictures releases, Day of the Dead and tons more.

Vestron also put out an impressive amount of product with some very amusing art coming from Charles Band's Empire Pictures. Here's the jokey ad for Ghoulies, one of the cheesier entries from Band (quite a statement considering his filmography), but an altogether enjoyable b-movie.  As tends to be the case, the angle of a ghoulie in the toilet is only a brief part of the movie.

Up next is an ad from Embassy, maybe my favorite VHS company.  They put out a ton of great stuff:  Most of Avco/Embassy's library, some wonderfully cheesy action and sci-fi films and many, many more.  I think we'll finish there for now.  Here's a little bit to send you off.


2 comments:

  1. Great write-up! Love the Media ad for all the VHS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I think I'll post some more later in the week.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I've been a huge fan of action, horror and comedy for as long as I can remember.